6.23.2011

Taco refit: Step 1, insulation

I don't know why it took me so long to decide to do this to the truck. I've spent countless hours in the back either seeking shelter from a storm or freezing my ass off while camping. So, I've decided to turn it into a proper sleeping/camping machine. Kirkwood Ski Resort is a little bit out of the way, and not owning a condo there doesn't make it any easier. A big goal of this project is to be able to sleep in the back of the truck during the winter months in the Kirkwood parking lot. So, I decided for step one of my modification is to insulate the truck bed.
Step 1: with a little help from Remy (me throwing a ball for her) I lifted the shell off the bed and removed the bed liner and the liner from the tailgate. Then I washed everything out to start clean.

Step 2: measured and cut the insulation to fit the tailgate.

Step 3: I left the tailgate insulation hang long off the back and did not trim to fit... I'll show you why later.


Step 4: I cut and used duct tape to fit the insulation to the shape of the truck.

Here is the bed liner back in. So, the excess insulation on the tailgate creates a flap to keep cold air out, yet lets liquids and whatnot still drain underneath. 

No comments:

Post a Comment